The GW New Venture Competition is open to individuals or teams of up to four people. Team requirements include:
- At least one member of the team must be a currently enrolled GW student. It is required that the GW student be enrolled in a degree program, at least part-time (5 credit-hours or more) in a semester/term of the academic year in which the Competition takes place.
- At least 50% of the members of each team must be affiliated with the George Washington University as a faculty member, currently enrolled GW student, staff member or GW alumnus/a.
- Each member of the team must be a significant shareholder in the venture and should have played a role in the formation of the venture.
- Only one entry may be submitted per team.
The GW New Venture Competition is for new for-profit or not-for-profit ventures. Ventures must meet the following criteria:
- Less than two years old, as of January 24, 2017.
- Gross sales of less than $200,000, as of December 31, 2016.
- Has not won any cash prize in a previous GW New Venture Competition.
Ventures that are a buyout, an expansion of an existing company, a real estate syndication, a tax shelter, a franchise, a licensing agreement for distribution in a different geographical area, or a spin-out from an existing corporation are not eligible.
New businesses that are in the beginning stages and have yet to be formed, are encouraged to enter.
Licensing technologies from GW or other universities or research labs is encouraged.
The GW New Venture Competition has final decision making authority for determinations of eligibility for prizes.
Questions about eligibility for the Competition and for the Special Prizes can be sent to email@example.com.
Special Prize Eligibility Requirements
Ventures that meet the requirements for participant eligibility and business eligibility can also qualify for the Quinn Prize for Best International Venture if:
- The venture’s product or service offerings are intended for international markets (defined as at least one other country outside the US), or
- The venture's product or service offerings provide significant value to international companies seeking to do business in the United States.
Ventures that meet the requirements for participant eligibility and business eligibility can also qualify for the Kulkarni Prize for Best Technology-based Venture as long as the venture’s product or service offerings are substantially based on new technological innovations.
Ventures that meet the requirements for participant eligibility and business eligibility can also qualify for the Prize for Best Interdisciplinary Venture if the team includes students from three or more different schools at GW.
New ventures that meet the requirements for participant eligibility and business eligibility can also qualify for the Best Sustainable Infrastructure Venture Prize if the venture applies new technologies, entrepreneurial ideas or innovative approaches in traditional business sectors like Energy, Infrastructure, Water, Utilities or Manufacturing to mitigate impact to the environment, and local or global ecosystems.
Daron Coates, Managing Director
ThinkBox Group, LL C
Paul Orentas, Managing Principal
ThinkBox Group, LLC
New ventures that meet the requirements for participant eligibility and business eligibility can qualify for the Opportune LLP Clean Energy Prize if the venture applies new entrepreneurial ideas or innovative approaches for clean energy solutions that impact areas such as climate, water, ecosystems and renewable sources of energy.
Matt Flanagan, Partner
Ventures can qualify for the special Veterans Prize in either of two ways:
- One or more of the GWU-affiliated members of the venture is a veteran, is on active duty or is a member of the Reserves or National Guard.
- The venture’s product or service offerings are primarily intended to address the needs of veterans.
All participants are eligible for the Audience Choice Award and do not need to apply separately for the prize. The award is given to the team whose oral presentation receives the largest number of unique votes from those attending the final presentation session on the day of the GW New Venture Competition Finals on April 20, 2016.